What a long, strange trip it's been, and we're just beginning

What a long, strange trip it's been.  There's no denying that's a commonly used phrase.  We see it on television, hear it on the radio and use it throughout life talking with others.  It means a lot of things to a lot of people.  Sometimes there is more significance to this statement than it would appear on the surface.

I've become a big believer in this statement.  I've actually started to consider it a trademark for my life.  To say that I've covered an interesting course in life is an understatement.  And this is just in regards to my businesses and education.  Of course, at this point, this seems to take up a large portion of my time so it really stands as no surprise that everything seems to rotate around this sphere of my life.

With this being the introduction to the blog of my company and life surrounding it, I figured it would be best to give some background to how I've gotten to be where I am in life.  Some will find it interesting, some won't, I'm sure.  If nothing else, at least this will help everyone see where I am coming from.

I started in the construction industry early in life.  To say the least.  Moving to Georgia prior to eighth grade, I found myself in the world of residential construction.  Apparently those ties were deep within my family and it was a homecoming in a way.  Starting in construction at such an early age, it's safe to say that I've seen ALL aspects of construction, the good, the bad, and the dirty.

Take that last statement at face value.  I mean it just as it appears.  I found myself working on lots after school and on weekends doing pretty much anything conceivable that involved cleaning the houses under construction.  Digging mud out of ditches following rainstorms.  Sweeping the sawdust and construction debris out.  Burning random blocks of wood and paper.  Pulling buckets of, well, things out of the corners of basements.  All the fun things that an eighth grader dreams of.

And if you believe that, I've got some oceanfront property n Arizona to sell you.  But I will say this, this journey led up to where I am today.  In some way, form or manner.  It took a long time to see how the points on the line connected, but they eventually did.  And once they did, it was actually rather odd seeing the connections.

Rather than bore all of you with a full novel about my life in construction leading to my current life as a residential designer, I'll allow you a reprieve and pick up the story again in my next edition.  In between, I'll add some other notes, some regarding work, some regarding design, a little construction, and even humor interspersed throughout to keep everyone entertained.

Who says a blog has to be boring?  Not I.

By the way, did I mention I have a background in writing?  Let's see if I can let that side grow again.

Looking forward to entertaining everyone and providing a little insight into the workings of the mind of a designer.

Comments

Popular Posts